The Family Law DOORS complements AVERT Family Violence by providing a solid understanding of risks to safety or wellbeing for families who are separating or separated.
What is the DOORS?
- The DOORS is an exciting new framework for considering and systematically identifying multiple and related risks for separating families.
- It includes screening of safety and mental health risks, parenting stress, and developmental risk for children.
- Every question is evidence based.
- Clients are well supported to consider their own well-being, and that of their children.
- The DOORS provides concrete guides for practitioner response, including referral and follow up.
- DOORS has been successfully trialled across multiple family law service contexts in Australia.
- DOORS offers a shared language for risk identification and response, across the family law field.
What’s in the DOORS?
- An evidenced based, two stage screening tool and response planning resources
- An annotated risk assessment resource list for specialist follow up
- A software program to streamline analysis
Who developed the DOORS?
The Family Law DOORS screening tool was created by Prof. Jennifer McIntosh (La Trobe University/Family Transitions), with a comprehensive handbook and training resources co-authored by Dr. Claire Ralfs (Relationships Australia, SA) and the DOORS research team.
Where can I find the DOORS?
The Family Law DOORS Software and Handbook are available from: www.familylawdoors.com.au/products
Visit the website at www.familylawdoors.com.au to register for DOORS updates or to enrol in training.